Monday, October 26, 2009

Regulations of Open Networks...say what?

I am all for open networks, applications, projects, etc.  I even strongly support FOSS software. In fact, every piece of code I personally write for public consumption is released under the GPLv2. (I'll look into v3 when it stabilizes a bit more; some of it is still too new for me to wage an accurate risk evaluation).  I have, of course, written stuff for myself (and that code holds a strong IP copyright) ... but if I were to release it, it would be OS.  Yet, even from a business standpoint, I would argue that FOSS is the way to go.  You become the free, defacto standard...and fsck people for support.  And then when you eventually fork a professional version that is more stable, has more updates, is more feature rich, and is more enterprise geared , those changes get backported to the FOSS version as time progresses and the pro version is further updated.  (Examples: Nessus, Snort, Wine, Red-Hat, etc.)

Now...with all of that said, we live (last I checked) in a capitalist economic society.  If you want to write software, platforms, firmware, etc. and charge for it, then so be it.  If you want to keep other people from manipulating it, then so be it.  More than likely, I will never personally use it or even support you -- but good luck to you anyway. With some smart marketing professionls (who then write "1x faster then the competition" on the package), you'll succeed either way.

Furthermore, I strongly disagree with patents on software.  Great...you've come up with an idea! Have a cookie and go make it happen!  Do it right, and you win!.  Software patents protect people/companies who suck at turning an idea into a solution.  Just because you had an idea doesn't mean that I shouldn't be able to implement it in my own way, for my own purposes, on my own terms.

Specifically concerning "Net Neutrality," there are currently two ideas of thought. The first feels that companies should be allowed to do as they choose. That is, they can block sites, customers, countries, applications, protocols, etc.  The feeling is that "they" run the network, so "they" make the call.  Conversely, the other line of thinking is that it should be open and that companies shouldn't be allowed to tell a customer how he/she can and should access some form of technology.

Consequently, I have never been one to support the government telling a company how to run a business.  I believe that if the company is doing it wrong, they'll figure that out at bankruptcy court.  At the same time, I don't think the companies have the right to tell you what to do in your own home. Thus, I am torn, really.

One thing I do know, though, is this: the side that is trying to keep things open is going about it ALL wrong.  Net Neutrality doesn't just cover corporations...it covers government bodies as well.  Every where I turn, someone else is pleading to the FCC to create laws to keep the Internet, networks, and technology from being infringed upon from both the government and the corporations.

HELLO? ?!? Did I miss something?  How do you enact a law prohibiting the enactment of other laws?  Do people not see that once the FCC gets involved (that is, once they get jurisdiction over this form), it will set a precedence and the very thing everyone wants them to protect WILL BE TAINTED?

Really.

Do I want my internet provider to tell me what I can and cannot do on the Internet?  No.

Do I want my government to tell me what I can and cannot do on the internet?  No.

Do I think the government should be protecting us from such infringement?  No!

Lets make it simple: If there is a telco out there blocking access, drop them and get another one.  Trust me, if they all close up, someone will step forward. OpenISP anyone?  Seriously though, we CAN vote with our wallets...and we should!  While some usage is already protected by law, there are fair use laws in place and laws protecting speech, etc.  Those should protect the majority of the issues.  The rest can be handled with our money.

Just think twice before you ask for more laws and regulations to protect us, it may be the very thing that hampers us...

1 comment:

TehCount said...

Agreed. Net neutrality should just be a standard, created by the people, achieved through the public being aware of what's going on and voting with their wallets. Instead of the government getting involved.