Friday, August 29, 2008

Mobility

No, not the commercial about powered-scooters, but the ability to roam freely and still have access to all of your data. Mobility has become a growing trend, more and more websites focus heavily on mobile interfaces and applications, to ensure their user-base has access to the services provided, no matter their location.

I thought it would be fitting to type this blog entry on my Blackberry, the irony would have been warranted. However, due to still owning a 8700c, I do not have the ability to spell-check my emails (and I am a horrid speller). Although with the ability to post blog entries via email (through blogger), I most certainly could have done so.

A few years ago there was a big movement to enable websites to be compatible on cell-phones and develop mobile related applications. I will not lie, I was a non-believer. I didn't see the average person (even technical savvy ones) using their phone to browse the web.

Download speeds were horrible, and the content layout (on a tiny screen) almost unbearable. Combine these issues with high data prices, I saw the technology going no where fast! But then something interesting happened, smart phones became common ground.

No longer did you see only business executives and rich kids running around the streets with a "smart phones". These devices commonly tote QWERTY (Full) keyboards and a larger screen. The sole purpose of the device is to provide more features then just a "phone".

Now you had a small computer in your pocket. Replacing the old PDA with something that makes phone calls as well. You were walking around with a contact list, calendar, phone, and more, on one device. But best of all you had a web-browser.

All of the WAP enabled websites were easily accessible on a easy to use device, where ever you would go. At this point I jumped on the "band-wagon". I purchased a Blackberry. To be honest, my addition to the (sometimes referred to CrackBerry) device, has only grown stronger as time progresses.

I original used the device solely for email and appointments. Having the ability to keep in touch with clients, family, and friends was always helpful. But I also had an entire archive of my data. Anytime I would need to look something up, or recall a conversation, a quick search and I had the email.

From there I installed amazing apps such as, Opera Mini, Google Maps, TwitterBerry, Beyond411 and plenty more. I truly live a mobile life.

I spend the majority of my life away from the desk, and therefore away from the desktop. That is precisely the reason I own a "desktop-replacement" (overly powerful/slightly heave laptop). But when I am driving down the highway, booting my laptop and catching some WiFi isn't an option. Luckily I have the mobile market to turn to and trust.

With the release of the iPhone and the anticipated release of the Android platform, the experience is only getting better. More and more applications are released, and more and more services are being available each day.

If you haven't taken the plunge into the mobile market, now is the time to do so. The desktop computer will never be replaced, but in five years, you will most definitely have everything you need, in your pocket/hand.

No comments: