Saturday, March 1, 2008

Apple Sued Over iPhone Caller ID - Lawyer Taglines

The Article: Apple Sued Over iPhone Caller ID

The Summary: The Apple iPhone has a "two-line LCD" caller-id function, that [oh-my] tells you who is calling. Seems "Romek Figa" owns a patent for such a feature. Figa is attempting to have Apple pay damages and license the feature. Apple thus far is refusing thus the impending lawsuit. Seems other major phone companies have already abided by Figa's rules, but he hasn't chosen to go through the proper channels at Apple.

Comments: I really want to take this article in an entierly diffrent direction, but before I do so, I'll comment on the article. I don't have the patent information in front of me, so I am skeptical to the entire idea someone whos a patent on such a wide-spread feature. But I've seen worse patents, (the mouse?). Eitherway I'll point you to this other article I added to my feed: Patents, Copyrights, Trademarsk, Oh My!

Now, for the spin, and the true point of this post. If you look at the article you'll see an ever common tagline, although this one is funnier then most. " Disclaimer: Nilay is a lawyer, but he's not your lawyer, and none of this is legal advice or analysis." I laugh aloud everytime I read one of these. It reminds me of the "warning" on coffee (May Be Hot), or the cautions on strollers (Remove Child Before Closing). Are people really that dumb? Or wrose are they really that sue happy -- looking at the context of the article, I guess so. But do we now need to write a disclaimer each time we give our opinion based on a job title? Leave your thoughts in the comment section...

Disclaimer: Justin is a guy who is attempting to write a blog, but he doesn't write your blog. Anything within his blog should be consiered his own opinion and now yours. Unless it is your opinion too.

No comments: